Subject Recruitment Assistance and Related Services
IAN offers a variety of services to help researchers recruit people into their studies and complete their studies. We offer a basic subject recruitment service and a variety of end-to-end services. Please note that there is a cost for these services.
Basic Subject Recruitment Services
Our basic service includes identifying qualified participants and sending them your study's IRB-approved recruitment letter via email. Those families or individuals interested in participating contact your study for further information. In addition, we also help studies prepare effective recruitment communications.
End-to-end Subject Recruitment and Related Services
IAN's end-to-end subject recruitment and related services, include the following:
- Recruitment monitoring. We provide an online dashboard, which allows you to monitor your project's progress.
- Intensive recruitment. Depending on your recruitment needs, we will create a recruitment protocol and contact potential subjects by a variety of methods including phone and conventional mail.
- Screening. We can provide online screening to better determine eligibility.
- Authorization. Qualified participants can authorize IAN to release their contact information to your study.
- Consent. Qualified participants can consent for your study via IAN.
- Incentives. We can provide electronic gift codes as participation incentives as judged appropriate by your IRB.
- Data collection. Subjects consented for your study can complete custom or standardized assessments.
- Data sharing. Subjects consented for your study can authorize us to share their IAN data with your study.
To learn more about subject recruitment assistance and related services, researchers complete an online application. We then contact the researcher about the services that we offer and the cost. If you have any questions, please send a note to researchteam@IANproject.org. View studies using IAN for Subject Recruitment and Related Services.
Apply for Subject Recruitment Assistance and Related Services
Autism researchers wishing to recruit subjects can apply to use IAN's Subject Recruitment and Related Services. Please note first that:
- Subject recruitment services and access to the IAN data set are available to researchers worldwide.
- The IRB approving the project described in this application must be either (1) fully accredited by the Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs, Inc. (AAHRPP), or 2) be at an academic medical center and approved by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP).
- The project must be focused in whole or in part on advancing our understanding of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs) or their treatment.
2. Contact a member of our research team at ResearchTeam@ianproject.org.
3. Mail, e-mail, or fax a copy of IRB approval for your research study.
We will need evidence that your study is approved by an IRB. Include a copy of the letter from the Principal Investigator's current Institutional Review Board (IRB) indicating that the proposed data analysis plan was either approved by the IRB, granted an exemption by the IRB, or determined to be non-Human Subject Research by the IRB.
Please note: The IRB reviewing the research described in your application must have an approved domestic or international Federal Wide Assurance (FWA) issued by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP). Most IRBs are registered in this way. However, if you are not sure about your IRB, you can visit the OHRP website to check.
We do not need an original signature for this document. Therefore, you may mail it to the address below, fax it to 443-923-4145, or e-mail it to researchteam@IANproject.org.
4. E-mail a copy of your subject recruitment letter in editable text (for example MS Word) and fax or e-mail proof of IRB approval of that letter.
A Sample Letter is provided for your convenience. Please have a member of the IAN Research team review your letter before you submit it to your IRB. We do not need an original signature for this document or an original IRB approval. Therefore, you may mail it to the address below, fax it to 443-923-4145, or e-mail it to researchteam@IANproject.org.
Please indicate to your IRB that the IAN Project will inform IAN Research families about your study via email and, if applicable, on the IAN Community Researchers Need You page (for the public at large). If you or your IRB do not want your study posted on the IAN Community Researchers Need You page, please inform the IAN team at researchteam@IANproject.org.) IAN Research will not share any PHI about any IAN Research participant with you (including contact information) unless a study-specific data sharing agreement has been executed by the IAN Research participant.
5. Mail an original signed copy of the IAN Research Database Subject Recruitment Agreement
The IAN Research Database Subject Recruitment Agreement states the nature of the relationship between the IAN Research Database and the researcher. Please sign and mail an original copy (do not fax or e-mail) to:
IAN Research, Department of Medical Informatics
Kennedy Krieger Institute
1st Floor Painter Building
3825 Greenspring Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21211
If you have any questions, please contact us at researchteam@IANproject.org. We are here to help.